Your pushchairs buyer’s guide
If you’re planning for a family you’ve probably already discovered you need to become an instant expert in a whole new range of accessories.
Well don’t worry – Genie Shopping is here to help take the strain! Below you’ll find our guide to prams and pushchairs – from strollers to triplets and everything in between.
Genie Shopping collates all the best deals from the UK’s leading online and high street retailers and then lets you search and compare them in the ways that suit you best. From John Lewis to Mothercare, we’ll set you on the right track.
But first, read through our guide. It sets out all the basic information you’ll need to make the perfect buying decision – with models available for everything from newborns through to toddlers.
What’s the difference? Prams vs pushchairs
In many circumstances the terms are used interchangeably, but technically they’re two separate things: prams will see the child facing you, with a lie-down position particularly suitable for newborns. Pushchairs tend to be forward facing and more suitable for toddlers.
Types of prams and pushchairs
We’ve got all types of pushchairs at Genie Shopping, with hundreds of models to choose from, so you may want to start by narrowing your decision down by type:
- Duo/combi: Great for every occasion, combi prams give you the flexibility of pushchair, stroller and carrycot (and/or infant carrier car seat) all in one. Also called ‘complete travel systems’, these can seem pricey until you realise their versatility and can actually end up saving you money in the long run.
- Stroller/buggy: These are lightweight pushchairs, perfect for holidays or heading to the shops – particularly on public transport, or in other situations where space or weight are big contributing factors. They’re also foldable, keeping storage requirements to a minimum.
- Twins, tandems and Triplets: If you’re looking for a double pram, you’ll need to decide between a twin (side-by-side) and tandem (one behind the other) model. There are understandable far less triple pushchairs on the market, but those you do see tend to be wide rather than tandem.
If you haven’t made your mind up in terms of pushchair style, don’t forget you can also simply search by ‘number of seats’ to narrow down your search.
And finally, do consider storage: where is your pram going to live when it’s not in use? This can rule out some models before you begin if you’re a pushed for space.
Pushchair wheels and handles
While the comfort of your child is paramount, remember you’ll be the one driving this thing – so your comfort is important too! There are plenty of options to choose between, both in terms of wheels and handles.
First, do you opt for swivel or fixed wheels? Swivel wheels make it easier to steer in tight areas, but many argue fixed wheels are easier over longer walking distances. Many pushchair models now let you switch between the two.
You’ll find similar discussions about four and three-wheel pushchairs – it really is a matter of taste, with fans of both claiming they’re easier to manage. Our advice is to try both – either ask friends or pop into a store. And then head back to Genie Shopping to find the best online deals!
You may also want to find a model with adjustable handles, especially if several people will be pushing the pram over long distances that are quite different in height: you want everyone to be able to be comfortable.
Additional pushchair features
Once you’ve narrowed your choices down with these basic requirements, refine your search by considering how important the following items are to your buying choice:
- Movable seats
- Easy-to-fold mechanism
- Shopping basket
- Sun parasol/foot muffs
- Rain covers
You may find some ‘cheap’ models may lack these options, meaning you’ll get an inferior pram only to have to spend extra later.
Safety when using baby prams and pushchairs
Keeping your baby safe and comfortable while out and about is your number one priority. Here’s our six-point pram and pushchair safety checklist:
- Familiarise yourself – and anyone else who will be using it – with your baby’s new pram before putting him or her into it. Read the manual carefully and get to grips with any settings and adjustments.
- Pay extra attention to how the brake system and locking mechanisms work, and how the pushchair folds and opens.
- Secure your child safely into the seat with a harness and put the break on whenever you stop.
- Don’t use a rain cover when it’s warm, very sunny, or indoors.
- It’s essential to ensure locking mechanisms are in place and working when you open the pushchair.
- Be careful what you store on/in your pushchair – heavy shopping balancing on the handles of a lightweight buggy is a recipe for disaster.
What to do next: Buying your pram
Once you’ve found the pushchair you want to buy at Genie Shopping, simply click through to the website of the retailer of your choice. You’ll find all the top manufacturers here – from Quinny to the BabyStyle Oyster range – and at the best prices.
Once you click away from here you’ll be in the safe hands of your chosen store: you’ll carry out the transaction directly with them, so you don’t have to worry about any third party complications; we’re simply pointing you in the right direction.