Buyers’ Guide: Fans
There’s nothing worse than not being able to concentrate at work, or sleep at night, because of heat and stuffiness; this is where fans are a godsend!
Check out our buyers guide below before heading over to our shopping and comparison pages where we’ve done all the hard work for you to bring you the best online selection of fans at unbeatable prices.
What are fans and why do I need one?
Fans are a brilliant addition at home or in the workplace on warm days. Though they’re not an adequate substitute for air conditioning they’re good for cooling small areas such as small desk clusters or bedrooms.
Fans come in a host of sizes and styles, with features ranging from basic functions to fancy, state-of-the-art specs. Of course, the price reflects the fan’s features and effectiveness, but as a general rule fans are cheap and won’t break the bank.
Small fans work by rotating angled blades, forcing air outwards. Most are made of plastic or metal and come in at only a couple of feet tall, making them perfect for desktop spaces.
Consider the following points when shopping online for your new fan:
- Size How much space do you have free for your new fan? Older fans tend to be bigger, with larger bases to make them sturdier – this is important in particular for oscillating fans. Newer models as a whole are smaller but less sturdy. Consider how much room you have and weigh up your options.
- Style Which fan will most suit your room or office décor? These units are never going to be attractive to look at, but you can up their chic factor by looking for one that blends in with your surroundings.
- Budget On the whole fans are cheap, but remember that you get what you pay for. It may be worth spending an extra few pounds for a better quality fan that’ll last you for many summers to come.
- Oscillation An oscillating feature simply ensures that cold air is distributed evenly within a small space. Just make sure it doesn’t end up blowing away all your important work documents!
- Misting These fans are usually found in very hot and humid places and are most often a feature on big fans at sporting matches. Fans with this misting feature release mini droplets of water into the air that evaporate almost immediately, working to draw in heat from the surrounding area and cooling the air
You’re ready to head over to our shopping and comparison pages!
Narrow down your search by using the filters on the left hand side of the page; when you spot a price, or a deal, that takes your fancy simply click on the offer and you’ll be transferred to the site of your selected independent retailer where you can continue and buy your selected desk fan. Or, if you’re not quite sure, go back to Genie Shopping and continue to search our huge selection – you’re guaranteed to find one that suits your budget and your tastes.